Recent comments

Oppose Slavery? Oppose America!

5 years 33 weeks ago   Oppose Slavery? Oppose America!

To the editor:

I have to disagree with you about out Union not being happy. We are happy even know we have slaves . In a way slaves meke us a little happer because all the cotton produced in the south is sold to other countries.

James Buchanan

Slaves are Well-Treated in the South

5 years 33 weeks ago   Slaves are Well-Treated in the South

To the editor:
I am responding to the letter of Joseph Ried Anderson, arguing that slaves are treated well in the south. The truth is slaves are not treated well in the south. They are whipped when they misbehave. Their families get separated when auctions are held. They have free houses because their owners need a place to keep them at night. They are forced to work in the fields and forced to do house work. They do labor and they don't even get payed. Their owners sometimes make them work for other slave owners and they get paid but their owners take the money.

Sincerely,
Robert E. Lee

Robert E. Lee
5 years 33 weeks ago   Slaves are Well-Treated in the South

To the Editor:
I am replying to the letter of Frances Kemble in which she argues that slaves are not well treated in the south. I disagree for several reasons, if she says that slaves are treated badly in the south then people working in the factories are worse. At least they have a roof over their head that is free. At least they are taken care for. Who take's care of the factory workers.

Yours truly,
Caroline Hentz

Caroline Hentz
5 years 33 weeks ago   Slaves are Well-Treated in the South

To The editor
I am responding to the letter of William Lloyd Garrison, who argues that we treat are slaves wrong. I disagree with your comment because we care about our slaves. If it wasn't for us the slaves would not have any food to eat and life would be harder for them. I also believe that what you are saying is a selfish act, because you don't know how we treat them and you don't know what they want. We the slave owners are proud to say that we give the slaves better lives!.

Yours truly,
Jefferson Davis.

Jefferson Davis
5 years 34 weeks ago   Slaves are Well-Treated in the South

I Joseph ried Anderson strongly disagree with your statement "slaves are not treated well in the south". first of all the slaves get free housing food water and clothing. in return we ask them to do some free work in return to us generously giving free necessities for life. the work that we ask them to do aren't that bad, we just want them to plant crops. therefore your statement "slaves are not treated well in the south" is wrong

sincerely,
Joseph ried Anderson

Joseph Reid Anderson

Freed Slaves Happy in Liberia

5 years 33 weeks ago   Freed Slaves Happy in Liberia

To the editor,
In a recent article of the "Liberator" the writer writes how the slaves are moving to Liberia. As mayor of NYC I say that the slaves that have left should be brought back. After the slave fugitive act the slaves are still ours and they should be harvesting our crops. Anyways they are happy in our plantations. They work hard and get to do everything they do in Liberia at the plantations. They get to sing they're songs and play their games. Every time I visit the south the slaves are happy and doing what they want after work. As mayor of NYC i believe that the slaves should come back to the U.S.A.
Sincerely,
Fernando Wood

Fernando Wood

Northern Cotton Merchants Support Slavery!

5 years 33 weeks ago   Northern Cotton Merchants Support Slavery!

to the editor iam responding to the letter of Joseph Reid Anderson, I am disagreeing with you about how you think riding this world of slavery is bad. getting rid of slavery would help the south because it would give to majority of the people being the lower class an advantage because to make money they would not have to compete with enormous plantations with 100's of slaves you are hurting the south by arguing that slavery is good

sincerely

Hinton Helper

hinton helper
5 years 34 weeks ago   Northern Cotton Merchants Support Slavery!

to the editor iam responding to the letter of

hinton helper
5 years 34 weeks ago   Northern Cotton Merchants Support Slavery!

To the Editor:

I am responding to the letter of Joseph Reid Anderson, I am disagreeing with you about how you think slavery is fine. It is not fine, and everyone should be treated equal. Our masters do know treat us with respect, they beat us...you call that respect? Also if i was free I could provide my self and my family with our own shelter food and clothing!

Sojourner Truth

Sojourner Truth

Slavery is on the March!

5 years 33 weeks ago   Slavery is on the March!

To the Editor:

In a recent issue of the Liberator you published an article entitled "Slavery is on the March!" where the writer says that the slave owners are "evil".As the Mayor of New York City, I highly doubt that the southerners should be called names or be called evil. I have seen the southerners and their slaves are happy and they are needed a lot. They are used for important harvesting of cotton and are needed to harvest faster. They are well treated and are only disciplined when they are behaving badly or hurting each other. The incorrect fact of this article is that the slave owners are "evil" and don't care about the slaves' well being. I know the argument is unfounded by my trips to the south seeing that these slaves are treated well as they are allowed to follow their own customs and don't have to worry about torture. I think this article is immoral because it discriminates against the southerners and any other slave owner as a cruel, evil person.
Finally, and most importantly, if we allow your advice then there will be unqualified black workers running through the streets looking for the jobs that we Americans need in order to pay off taxes and support our families.
Instead, I hope your reader will say that the southern people and any other slave owners are not evil or cruel.
Sincerely,
Fernando Wood

Fernando Wood
5 years 34 weeks ago   Slavery is on the March!

To the editor
I' am responding to a letter that George Fitzhugh wrote in which he stated that Negros are meant to serve us. i completely disagree with this statement. no man should be meant to serve any other man. just making them work and giving them little break in harsh conditions.

John Brown
5 years 34 weeks ago   Slavery is on the March!

to the editor,
I'm responding to the letter of George Fitzhugh who argues that blacks are meant to be made for slavery and that not all slave owners are "evil". I disagree with this for several reasons. First of all blacks are humans they have all equal parts that white men have the only reason they are mistreated is because of the color of their skin, if this trait really affected how people should be treated then some white men would also be mistreated. For example if one white man has a different body structure than what most people are saying is that we should hate him because he is not like the rest of us. Second nobody is born for a specific purpose we should all have a say in what we want to do or be not just based on their skin color. Lastly the statement "not all slave owners are evil or malignant" is not true, because all slave owners tell slaves what to do they all mistreat them and have them under bad conditions and that is not how we treat people which we all are no matter what race color of skin or any other traits. Thank you for your consideration
sincerely, Angelina Grimke

angelina grimke
5 years 34 weeks ago   Slavery is on the March!

Dear Mr. Vallandigham,
I'm responding to the extremely rude letter sent by you, where you said that i wanted to treat slaves like a bunch of garbage. However, this statement couldn't be more incorrect. I don't think that slaves should be treated like garbage. Quite the opposite in fact. I'm just stating that negros are meant to serve us and nothing else. However, I still think that they should be treated with dignity and respect.
This is just the type of letter I expected to receive from a Yankee like you, Mr. Vallandigham.

Say hello to the Mrs. for me,
George Fitzhugh

George Fitzhugh

Poor John Brown to be Executed

5 years 33 weeks ago   Poor John Brown to be Executed

To the Editor:
In a recent issue of the Liberator you published an article entitled, "Poor John Brown" in which the writer argues that John Brown shouldn't have died. I think they did the right thing to kill him, because we have the right to have slaves and we have the right to do what ever we feel like. i believe in states rights that the national government cant tell us what to do ! Also I think John Brown is doing the bad thing because he know he is going to die because slavery should stay for ever.

Thank you for considering my views.

Yours truly,
Jefferson Davis

Jefferson Davis
5 years 34 weeks ago   Poor John Brown to be Executed

I am responding to the letter of John C. Calhoun who argues that Jhon Brown was a bad man. I disagree with this for several reasons. One thing was that he was good man that was just trying to help the poor slaves. Another thing was that he beliefs that the slaves are not well treated and he also beliefs that they are not happy in the south with their owners how they are hitting them and hurting them and their family, if they even have a family anymore because they dont know where their rest of the family are if they're alive or not. He was just trying to help at least some slaves because he wouldnt be able to help all of the slaves even though that was his wish.

Thanks for your consideration
Sincerely,
Frances Kemble

Frances Kemble
5 years 34 weeks ago   Poor John Brown to be Executed

To The Editor:

I am responding to the comment of John C. Calhoun. I disagree with his statement because even though John Brown did ONE criminal act slave owners have been doing far worse things for a lot longer. They have been torturing slaves by whipping them over and over again for hundreds of year. Even though i don't believe that violence is the key in stopping slavery i do believe he had a right to do this. If he has to be executed, I think all slave owners should be at least jailed.

Sincerely,
Lydia Maria Child

eileenespana

Every Slaveholder is a Man-Stealer

5 years 34 weeks ago   Every Slaveholder is a Man-Stealer

To the editor,
I am responding to the letter of Rose Greenhow who argues that slavery is good. I disagree with this for several reasons. One reason why I disagree with this statement is because, your fathers slave murdered him. If he didn't anything bad to his slaves why would the slave murder him?

Another reason why i disagree with this statement is that it says that your slaves had luxuries, well what kind of luxuries, being chain to each other so that they wouldn't run away? As you have said earlier, " It is hard to treat a man with respect and give the same freedoms as any other man when these slaves refuse to show any gratefulness, or , for that matter, responsibility when granted privileges other then the basic necessities." haven't you thought for a moment that slaves aren't showing any gratefulness because you have separated them from His/Her family?

In your Comment you have said that if the Southerners fallowed the unions rules it would strip away the Souths pride, so you are insinuating that you are proud to take blacks away from their families. I for one, want to abolish slavery right now, not gradually I want it to end now! Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,
William Lloyd Garrison.

williamlloydgarrison

Bring Back the Slave Trade!

5 years 34 weeks ago   Bring Back the Slave Trade!

To the Editor:
In a recent issue of the Guardian you published an article entitled ''Bring Back the Slave Trade''! in which the writer writes that we need negro labor.

As the author of the ''Impending Crisis of the South'' i must take issue with this position for several reasons. First the facts you use to support your argument are incorrect. Slave ships are not allowed and there are not to be any slave ships. Second based on my experience i know that your argument is unfounded. because we do not need slave labor.Slave labor helps the rich and hurts the poor because it makes it nearly impossible for poor southerners to become middle class because they cant afford slaves. Thirdly in my opinion your argument is unfair because you only present your side of the story.

Instead I hope your readers will agree that the slave trade should stay forbidden.

Thank you for considering my views.

Sincerely

the famed Hinton Helper

hinton helper

Fugitive Slave Law Enforced in Boston!

5 years 34 weeks ago   Fugitive Slave Law Enforced in Boston!

To the Editor,

I am responding to Abraham Lincoln's comment. I disagree with the law but, i was willing to keep the law ,if California was admitted into the country as a free state.

Henry Clay

Slaves are Happy

5 years 34 weeks ago   Slaves are Happy

To the editor

Slaves are not happy; they have no rights and are considered property. I’m mad about this issue because slavery is fairly equal to woman’s rights we woman have no rights that apply equal to white men. We have no rights in economics same as slaves. It is very unfair because what person would be happy knowing they are considered property. Getting hit when they do something wrong and always being told what to do. Weather extremely horrible for slaves working in fields in the blistering hot climate what person would be "happy" living under those conditions. I think nobody, I think everybody would like to go home knowing they are FREE!!!!

angelina grimke